Monday, August 16, 2010

Oh yeah-veggie burger

Thursday, August 12, 2010
Last night I was going to have a burger. There was no way around it. I pulled up the Weight Watchers points tracker and tried to figure out exactly what I could have. I nearly dropped my laptop when I saw how the Boca Burgers are only one point. I drove to Wal*Mart to get my Boca Burger and some lite buns. Guess who was OUT of lite buns and who doesn't even carry Boca burgers? Yep-I was dejected. I shuffled my feet up and down the aisles moping. I was hungry for a burger and felt so excited about the possibility of having one, that I was willing to overlook the fact that it wasn't even made from meat. (My desperation knows no bounds.)

So I tried to find something else. I got stuck in the frozen breakfast food aisle because a group of people decided to have an impromptu reunion in the middle of the aisle and I had to go around a different way. That's when I saw the green box.

Morning Star makes veggie burgers. I grabbed the box that read "Better than Boca" and hurried to the bread aisle. I knew they were out of lite bread but I figured with only one point for the burger, I could handle the extra points from the regular bun. Then I spied Arnold's Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins. Okay, they don't look appetizing. But I figured since my burger doesn't have meat, why stick with an original bun, right? (Maybe I was getting delusional in my hamburgerless state of mind)

Well, I got home, sprayed the skillet and plunked the veggie patty on the pan. While it cooked I sliced an onion, grabbed some lettuce, put a MEASURED 1/8 teaspoon each of mayo, mustard, & ketchup (no points there hee hee hee) on my ONE POINT sandwich thins. I sprinkled pepper on my "burger" as it cooked and put my masterpiece together. It smelled like a burger and I was pretty psyched to note how soft the sandwich thins were - maybe there's hope after all!

When I took a bite, my eyes rolled back, my heart started pounding, and I had to restrain my hands from shoving the rest of the burger into my drooling face. Yes, it was good. So good, in fact, that I have no desire for a greasy cheesburger. (And that is saying something!)

This afternoon, I thought I'd give it another shot. Guess what? It was just as good today as it was last night. There is hope out there. It is possible to eat delicious food and lose weight. Well, I hope I am losing weight. I feel better though, so even if Monday's weigh-in is not what I expect, I know that I am eating healthier. Wait. Let me engrave that in my memory, because if Monday isn't a happy day I'm going to have to remember that. Healthy is the goal. Healthy is the goal...While we're on the subject, since they make a substitute for burgers, do you think there is a substitute for exercise? Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment