Monday, June 28, 2010

Fascination with Celebrities

I love getting things for free. Well, except for advice. When it comes to people telling me how to live my life, my ears are closed. Even when I know they are right.

Case in point. I am fat. I know I am fat - there isn't any way to hide the flab taking over my body. I know I need to exercise. As I sit here using the lap top on the couch in front of the TV, I know I should be out walking. In my heart I know this. When I grabbed that extra piece of chicken, I knew I didn't need it. Yet, I ate it. And now I sit here with my disgusting lack of self control eclipsed only by the growing girth that is my body. (sigh)

About a week ago, I replied (in the Twitter-universe) to something an author posted. I mentioned that I am the type of person who can't go into a gym until I lose weight. Though I was trying to be funny, I meant every word. I don't want to be the fat chick everyone else looks at and says, "Well, at least I'm not that big."

So, my sarcastic quip earned a reply. A celebrity actually replies to me, and she tells me basically that I am an idiot and I need to get out there and work on the tonage that is my figure.

Here is the worst part. I listened.

She simply reaffirmed what I already knew. Yet, I listened. Why is that? Why is it that her words seem to make an impact? She is an author. I am a reader. What makes her opinion so noteworthy? What is it about that celebrity status that has people listen?

A few months ago I was in Charlotte at the official Twilight Convention and Charlie Bewley made a comment, "Age is just a number." (My first thought was, "Well, so is weight, but you don't hear me spouting that slogan.") - but then I got to thinking about age and how much emphasis we place on it. Why is it that it took an actor to say it for me to start thinking about it? For goodness sakes, he plays an immortal - someone for whom age is irrelevant, and here I am listening to what he says.

What is it about the celebrity status that makes people listen (and even act) on what they are saying? Why do celebrities have such an impact on us? I guess when I finally publish my books and then someday become a celebrity, I can start listening to my own advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment